Sunday, September 25, 2011

US Holiday - Day 15 - Washington DC to San Francisco

Day 15 - Friday 23rd September

Awoke to grey skies and rain. This didn't bother me considering I am flying out today. Had a shower and then finished packing my bag. Flight wasn't until 12.25pm and from what I had read it was only about a 40 minute drive up to Dulles Airport. Grabbed a cab from the hotel just after 10am and made slow going through the streets of DC. Once we got out onto the express way we made good time.

Strangely the express split into two with dedicated lanes for people going to the airport. Got out of the cab and then lined up to check in and drop off the suitcase. That was easy enough but then had to line up to get through the ticket & id check and security screening. Took a while to get through the screening but eventually got through.

From there it was time to catch a small train to drop you off into the appropriate part of the airport. All these small activities seemed to be adding up and only got to the gate about 15 minutes before they started boarding. And when we did start to board it ended up being a game of find a spot to put your carry on luggage. I can't believe the amount of luggage that people try to get onto the flight. I was in row 25 and by the time by row grouping was called to get onto the plane the overhead luggage was pretty much full. I managed to find a small spot to put the backpack in.

Flight was OK, managed to get some sleep along the way. We landed about 30 minutes early due to good tail winds. Only waited for about 10 minutes at the baggage claim to grab my big suitcase and then off to grab a cab. It was pretty much express way into San Francisco and before I knew it the cab stopped and the driver said the hotel is just around the corner. Sure enough it was and within no time I had checked in and was in the room.

Dropped off the bags and then started walking around. The hotel appears to be in a good location near to shops and transport. Found a Westfields and had dinner in the food court before walking all the way down to the Ferry Building at the end of Market Street. Wasn't much happening there but you could see that there were lots of shops based there.

Headed back to the room and chilled out for the rest of the evening. Tomorrow the weather is looking cloudy so not sure how much I will be able to get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment