Saturday, August 25, 2012

V8 Supercars at Sydney Motorsport Park

Saturday 25th August 2012

Today I had the opportunity to watch the V8 Supercars at Sydney Motorsport Park, also known as Eastern Creek Raceway. My mate Daz scored some free tickets so I along with Daz and three others headed out there just after lunch. By the time we parked the car and walked down to one of the entrance gates it was about 1pm. No cars were racing at that stage so we ended up walking around some of the merchandise stalls before finding a spot on one of the hills.

I have been out to Eastern Creek a number of times to watch the 500cc bikes when Mick Doohan was riding and a number of times to watch the drags. This however was the first time watching the V8 Supercars. It was going to be a new experience.

Throughout the afternoon there were a number of support races featuring all different types of cars, from 1980s Mazda Rx7's through to late model Porsche's. There were some races also featuring open wheelers and a mini version of the V8 Supercars. The performance of all was very impressive.

We also had a fly by from the Sydney Ibis Roulette's before they landed at the tip not too far away. There are so many of them around and they appear to be the bird everyone loves to hate. 

Weather was exceptional. Sunny the entire time we were there. Whilst it was probably only in the low 20C, it felt much hotter and feeling a little sun kissed after being out there all afternoon.

Qualifying for the V8's started around 2.30pm with the race beginning at a touch after 4pm. The sound the cars make whilst lined up on the grid was amazing. That all ended when the lights went green and away they went. We were in a great spot seeing them drive through a number of tricky sections. Watching V8's on TV is certainly enjoyable being there in person, hearing the pop they make when hitting the rev limiter/changing gears is unique. And the sweet smell of the fuel, you don't get that through the tube either. The race in the end was pretty uneventful crash wise. The eventual winner was Craig Lowndes. 

Getting out of the raceway was pretty easy. About a 15 minute walk and only 5 minutes waiting in the car before we exited. I could see myself getting back there at some point. Maybe even the V8's at Olympic Park.

Feel free to watch some of the videos that I took on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment