Sunday, October 14, 2012

Tripods and Canon EOS lens arrives

Sunday 14th October 2012

This week a number of packages have arrived that I've been eagerly awaiting. This includes 2 sets of Giottos MTL8360B carbon fibre tripods along with a Giottos 1311-656 ball head. Added to this I also opted to get a Giottos tripod bag, the AA1253. Unfortunately was only able to get one and the back order was 6 weeks. Looking into some options there but the bag itself is very nice.

Then last Friday I picked up the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6. So Friday night I had a lot of fun opening up boxes and packages and putting it all together. Here is a picture of the lens mounted on my EOS 7D and then attached to the Manfrotto 393 gimbal mount. It really is a beautiful sight. 

Given the amount of research that I've performed, YouTube videos that I've watched I was very familiar with how it was going to behave and I think it is going to work perfectly for me.Tightening the tension knobs allowed me to find the sweet spot to be able to move the camera to different angles and it just stayed there. I still need to get it outside and test it properly.

So since my last post about a week ago there has been a few other purchases. This includes some more Giottos tripod bags, a bag for the Manfrotto 393 and also a Manfrotto fluid head video tripod head. I've sourced these again from B&H Photo and Video so that should arrive in the next week or so. Everything appears to be in stock so shouldn't be any suprises for delivery.

I've also purchased the filters for both the DSLR and video camera. They are in route and hope to have them available soon.

Whilst I've been waiting for kit to arrive I've been trying to do as much reading about eclipse photography. I've since found a good a good presentation by Steve Russell and can be found here (http://www.asnsw.com/node/854). Titled "Astroimaging - Total Solar Eclipse Workshop" he covers off how to shoot, what to shoot, lessons learnt etc. 

This week I also tested the free version of Eclipse Orchestrator successfully with my Asus Eee PC. This small laptop is light, has good battery life and will be joining me on the trip north.  Will look to buy the Pro version of Eclipse Orchestrator soon.

Amazing to believe it's only one month to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment